Restricted area accessible to the enoa partners only.
Festival d'Aix-en-Provence, 2008 © Elisabeth Carecchio
with Pascal Dusapin
26 June - 06 July 2019
The Opera Creation Workshop is open each year to young creators (under 40 years old on 2019, January 1st) from all disciplines and is a place for reflection and discussion on artistic opera-related issues. This workshop seeks to define current values of opera and the tasks it will assume in the future.
A process of reflection will take place, focusing equally on opera performance today and on the multidisciplinary aspects that it encompasses. Opera – as a genre, as a cultural offering and as a cultural practice – is the main subject of these discussions.
The French composer Pascal Dusapin, Medeamaterial created in 1991 at La Monnaie in Bruxelles and Perelà, Uomo di fumo created in 2003 in Opéra Bastille, will be in charge of leading this workshop.
The workshop is exclusively held in English. Some work sessions may be open to the public.
This workshop has also the support of the SACD.
- the artist must be connected to one of the 13 enoa member institutions*
- the artist must contact his/her sending institution, which decides if they recommend his/her application
- the artist must fill in the online form on the Academie du Festival d'Aix's website
- the hosting institution confirms the list of participants in February 2019
- the network assumes the responsibility for the training fees, the costs of accommodation and travel
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to their personal situation.
*artists not connected to the network yet can also apply to this specific workshop, further details on the Académie du Festival d'Aix's website.
Subscription's deadline: 15 November 2018
• CV (in English) and photo
• Covering letter in English (2 pages maximum) answering in at least 4 of the following questions:
- What was the first performance you saw or heard that made you want to be an artist?
- What is the piece you have made or written that you are most proud of?
- What is the most important project you are working on now?
- What is the one thing you dream of doing in opera?
- What do you expect from a reflection workshop experience during the Festival d’Aix?
- Where do you imagine yourself in 10 years?
• Any items already produced that could help assess your work (score, booklet, mock-up , video, etc.) via SoundCloud, YouTube, Dropbox (please check the links remain valid until 2019, January 31st).