The Queen Elisabeth Music Chapel
Under the Honorary Presidency of Her Majesty the Queen.
Inaugurated on 12 July 1939 by Queen Elisabeth, the Queen Elisabeth Music Chapel has ceaselessly been a centre of excellence for musical training for 70 years, while taking up the challenges of the contemporary world.
The teaching is organised around five masters in residence. Augustin Dumay is responsible for the violin section, Abdel Rahman El Bacha and Maria Joao Pires (from september 2012) for the piano section, José van Dam for the voice section, the Artemis Quartet for chamber music, and, since last September, a fifth section has been created for cello under the direction of Gary Hoffmann.
The Music Chapel endaveours to bridge the gap between apprenticeship and access to a musical career through an extensive programme of recitals and concerts. It is a flagship institution which has privileged links with orchestras, festivals and concert halls both locally and abroad, boasting more than 150 concerts and productions per year.
The Queen Elisabeth Music Chapel, a founding member of the enoa, along with the Warsaw Opera, the Aix-en-Provence Festival, the Gulbenkian Foundation and the Theater Academie of Munich (and many others), distingues itself with its Opera Studio, organised in partnership with the Monnaie Opera House, and its young singers who are under the direction of José van Dam.
Enoa will allow young singers in residence at the Music Chapel to be introduced to a formidable European network, to participate in many workshops organised by the network’s partners, and to take part in new opera productions.