Restricted area accessible to the enoa partners only.
© Vincent Pontet
with Shirley Apthorp and Willem Bruls
01 - 06 July 2019
The Académie du Festival d’Aix, with the support of enoa, is organising a unique workshop on cultural journalism, and more specifically on critical reviews of opera, under the supervision of South African journalist Shirley Apthorp (Financial Times, Opera Magazine, etc.) and Dutch playwright Willem Bruls (Opernwelt, The Wall Street Journal Europe, etc.).
In a context of profound change in the media sector, the Opera & Cultural Journalism Workshop aims to introduce participants to the principles of critical reviews and cultural journalism in opera.
« The continuation of expert professional commentary on music and music theatre is essential for the healthy future of art-form. » Shirley Apthorp & Willem Bruls
This workshop is open to journalists who are under the age of 32 at 1 January 2019 – students or young professionals, journalists, musicologists, playwrights, writers or philosophers – who want to write about the opera in German, Dutch, English or French.
It is both a space for reflecting on the work of critics in the field of opera and a practical workshop to improve on the profession of critic. Over the six days of the workshop, participants will take part in different productions of Festival d’Aix. As part of the workshop, each participant will be invited to produce different types of content, some of which may be published on the website of the enoa network.
The workshop is exclusively held in English. Some work sessions may be open to the public.
- the artist must be connected to one of the 13 enoa member institutions*
- the artist must contact his/her sending institution, which decides if they recommend his/her application
- the artist must fill in the online form on the Academie du Festival d'Aix's website
- the hosting institution confirms the list of participants in February 2019
- the network assumes the responsibility for the training fees, the costs of accommodation and travel
- per-diem are paid or not according to each institution’s internal rules
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to their personal situation.
*artists not connected to the network yet can also apply to this specific workshop, further details on the Académie du Festival d'Aix's website.
Subscription's deadline: 1st November 2018
• CV (in English) and photo
• Covering letter in English answering the following questions:
- Your ideas about new media in writing about arts
- Your opinion about the current 'state of opera' (trends, discussions, recent developments)
- What do you expect from a journalism workshop during the Festival d’Aix?
• Examples of already published texts (in English, French, German or Dutch).