Restricted area accessible to the enoa partners only.
with Sahika Tekand
27 - 29 August 2018
The workshop will focus on the introduction and experimentation of the “performative staging and acting method”, developed by Sahika Tekand and implemented on stage with her company / ensemble.
The Performative staging and acting method is meant for the performer to engage with his/her expressive material (body and voice) in a performative way to create artistic results. Therefore, all performers coming from different fields who would want to make use of their expressive tools in a performative sense can benefit from working with the method.
The performative staging and acting method is fundamentally established on the concept of ‘Game.’ The structure and the rules of the ‘game’ are collaterally designed based on the text which in turn constitute the principles of artistic design and expression. The method demands that all the components work collaboratively in the present moment and that all the risks taken here and now on the stage are real. During the performance, the method intends, in a transparent manner, to superpose and generate simultaneously that which happens to the person in real life, the player on the stage and the character in the play. The artistic expression constructed on the ‘Game’s design does not conceal its synthetic nature and thus relies on persuasiveness rather than believability with regards to the relation between the stage and the audience. The text of the play is addressed as the text of the performance and since it is written/re-written or rearranged according to the design of the game and the principles of artistic expression, the text presents itself as a performative text.
The aim of the workshop is developing an understanding of the objective conditions that surround the performer so that he/she can perform by truthfully relating to and letting him/herself be exposed to these conditions. The performers in this sense are urged to be creative performers not sole practitioners.
OUTPUT FOR THE SINGERS AND PERFORMERS
- An understanding of language and text as music
- Creative tools for a truthful artistic expression
- Exploration of the possibilities of the body and voice in relation to game-playing
OUTPUT FOR THE DIRECTORS
- In addition to the first two above: an understanding of form and meaning through game design
For enoa artists :
- the artist must be connected to one of the 13 enoa member institutions
- the artist must contact his/her sending institution, which decides if they recommend his/her application
- the hosting institution confirms the list of participants after the registration deadline
- the network assumes the responsibility for the training fees, the costs of accommodation and travel
- per-diem are paid or not according to each institution’s internal rules
For non-enoa artists :
- this workshop is also open for non-enoa applications, further details on LOD's website
Selection Criteria: CV + letter of intention (to be sent to email@example.com), please specify the name of the enoa institution that you are connected to.
Two 2-hour sessions for 3 days
Day 1: Introduction of the method by Şahika Tekand
Application of the method by improvised exercises
Day 2: Designing-Playing a game with The Music of Language by use of sound and text
Designing-Playing a game with The Music of Language by use of sound and text
Day 3: Design-Application on sound and text
NB: Participants are advised to wear comfortable clothing and trainers, suitable for the class activity.
Deadline to apply: June 30th, 2018
Quota: 8 participants recommended by enoa institutions / 8 positions reserved for participants selected by the hosting institution
Location: LOD muziektheater, Bijlokekaai 3, 9000 Ghent, Belgium