Restricted area accessible to the enoa partners only.
Mentored by Piersandra di Matteo
24 June - 09 July 2024
Conceived with performing arts theorist, dramaturg and curator Piersandra di Matteo, the Multidisciplinary Residency of the Académie offers to foster dialogue among different disciplines and field of research: music and sound, visual arts, stage direction, choreography, critical theory and curating of the performing arts, dramaturgy and literature.
The Multidisciplinary Residency 2023 of the Académie du Festival d’Aix is a time-space dedicated to embodied research processes. It engages in a dialogue between theoretical exploration and creative practice, providing a common space for sharing knowledge through collective moments and different forms of interaction. The first edition of the residency gives a special attention to the Voice as an intrinsically interdisciplinary field. The Voice is to be understood as an embodied phenomenon embedded in the tangible reality of flesh, a materially intersubjective realm, a study area of vocal performance and singing, a tool for la prise de parole, a device for political engagement, an institution for the aural imagination, and a force that navigates among human and more-than-human bodies.
Participants are invited to exchange queries, interim exploration findings, performance practices, and ongoing creative paths, seeking to implement a collaborative and sympoietic approach that investigates the convergences between performing arts, literature, critical thinking, auditory and musical explorations, and visual arts.
The daily agenda is structured around discussions, collaborative and individual research sessions, gatherings, guest-led presentations and workshops, and live performances. The activities aim to connect also with the local knowledge and environment of the Aix-Marseille Métropole, providing a situated experience in a dialogue with the local communities.
The residency program concludes with two events: collective conference-performance on 7th July 2024 which serves as an occasion to “act in concert”, giving a creative expression of the discussions, dialogues, and artistic processes developed in the common space of the residency; and a participation to the Opera Makers encounters, as part of the professional days of the Festival d’Aix, on July 9th.
The residency is supported by the Fondation Engie.
- April 2024 : online meeting and introduction to the residency program
- June 24th to July 9th, 2024 : Residency in Aix-en-Provence
July 7th : conference-performance
July 8th : Participation to the Opera Makers professional days
- the artist must be connected to one of the 12 enoa member institutions*
- the artist must contact their sending institution, which decides if they recommend their application
- if recommended, the artist must send their application to their sending institution contact
- once the sending institution gives their approval, the artist must complete the application form on the Academie's website
- the network assumes the responsibility for the training fees, the costs of accommodation and travel
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to their personal situation.
The enoa network is actively seeking to support artists currently under-represented in the opera world for historical, cultural or social reasons.
*artists not connected to the network yet can also apply to this specific workshop, further details on the Académie du Festival d'Aix's website.
Number of participants: 12
Positions reserved for participants supported by enoa organisations: 4
APPLICATION FEES - €50 *
All incomplete applications will be rejected.
Application fees are non-refundable.
*If your application is supported by the enoa network, please get in touch with your institution who will guide you through the application process
FINANCIAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Each participant will sign a participation agreement for the entire duration of the residency
and a contract for the conference-performance for a gross remuneration of €500.
Workshops’ accommodation and travel* are covered by the Festival d'Aix.
Lunchs are provided on the residency days. Evening meals are to be paid by the participant.
Do not hesitate to let us know of any financial, material or organizational difficulties you may have. We will see if it is possible to facilitate your access to this residency or to facilitate your application (e.g.: childcare, additional mobility assistance, interpreter, etc.).
* Reimbursements of travel fees are made on proof of purchase of a 2nd class return plane or train ticket between the artist’s town / city of residence and Aix / Marseilles. Reimbursements are capped by geographical area: €100 (PACA Region), €250 (whole of France), €500 (Europe / Mediterranean), €1000 (outside Europe and the Mediterranean)
Please send a short video (5 minutes max) or text (in English or in French ideally or in any language you feel comfortable with) addressing the following topics and questions:
- a short presentation of your artistic or theoretical practice
- how is the “voice” a field of experimentation for you?
- what do you think about a collaborative artistic approach?
- what are you working on at the moment?