Restricted area accessible to the enoa partners only.
mentored by Katie Mitchell
10 - 14 July 2023
Since 2016, the Académie du Festival d'Aix has been working to improve the representation of women in the field of opera and, while offering artists a unique support programme, is enabling the sector to evolve. Conceived by stage director Katie Mitchell, the Women Opera Makers workshop aims to increase the visibility of women who are evolving in the fields of music creation, directing, conducting, playwriting and performance. In addition to its action for the equity between women and men in the fields of multidisciplinary and musical arts, this workshop works for diversity in the broad sense. As such, it deliberately encourages the expression of different aesthetics and the creation of new narratives, and values artistic creativity at the highest level.
The workshop objectives are to strengthen the artists’ artistic and multidisciplinary network, to receive personalised advice in career development strategy, to offer guidance about managing sexism in the workplace, to reflect on the function of opera today, to get in contact with professionals of the sector in a unique context.
The participation of the Women Opera Makers to the Aix Festival Professional Days allows the opera world actors present in Aix to benefit from the effort made by the Académie's management in searching for, identifying and inviting to Aix talented professional artists.
The Workshop will unfold in two times:
- A half-day session to outline the workshop content and the preparation required by Katie Mitchell in April 2023 (remote)
- A 6-day workshop week in Aix-en-Provence led by Katie Mitchell and including conversations with other women practitioners working at the Festival. (in Aix-en-Provence)
The week will end with Opera Makers - the Festival's Professional Meeting Days during which they will be able to present a pitch for a project to a group of professionals in the heart of the Festival.
Date: From July 10th to 14th 2023
Place: Festival d'Aix-en-Provence
- the artist must be connected to one of the 12 enoa member institutions*
- the artist must contact her sending institution, which decides if they recommend her application
- the artist must fill in the online form on the Academie du Festival d'Aix's website
- the network assumes the responsibility for the training fees, the costs of accommodation and travel
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to their personal situation.
The enoa network is actively seeking to support artists currently under-represented in the opera world for historical, cultural or social reasons.
More information on enoa’s commitments
*artists not connected to the network yet can also apply to this specific workshop, further details on the Académie du Festival d'Aix's website.
Deadline to apply: February 5th, 2023
APPLICATION FEES - €30
All incomplete applications will be rejected.
Application fees cannot be reimbursed
FINANCIAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Workshops’ accommodation and travel* fees are covered by the Festival d'Aix. Artists pay for their meals.
Do not hesitate to let us know of any financial, material or organizational difficulties you may have. We will see if it is possible to facilitate your access to this residency or to facilitate your application (e.g.: childcare, additional mobility assistance, interpreter, etc.).
* Reimbursements of travel fees are made on proof of purchase of a 2nd class return plane or train ticket between the artist’s town / city of residence and Aix / Marseilles. Reimbursements are capped by geographical area: €80 (PACA Region), €210 (whole of France), €350 (Europe / Mediterranean), €500 (outside Europe and the Mediterranean)
Please send us a short video (6 minutes max) or text (in English or in French ideally or in any language you feel comfortable) answering the following questions:
- Who are you ?
- Who are you as an artist ?
- Why opera ?